News and Announcements
In addition to TeamPages, the swimming and diving coaches use the fee GroupMe app to communicate things to the athletes and any parents who wish to also join the group chat. Attached please find a PDF with a QR code that can be scanned to join. The coaches need at least one athlete or parent per family be in the chat, especially as it is used to communicate things in that might be more urgent than can be sent by e-mail (weather issues, etc.).
We look forward to seeing athletes and parents at the Relay Jamboree meet this afternoon! Here are a few important reminders:
Location: Northeast Pool (1100 NE 14th St)
Arrive no later than: 4:30 pm
The document BHS_QR.pdf was attached to this post.
Our first meet of the season is tomorrow (August 17)! See below for all the important details.
Swimmers who are not cleared to participate through the Athletic Clearance site CANNOT be placed into the meet line up. This meet does not count for the season, so missing it will not impact anyone’s eligibility for Districts and beyond.
If you have not yet turned in the team paperwork (parent/guardian/athlete info form, team code of conduct form), copies of the FHSAA online course completion certificates, and fair share payment, please do so ASAP. Plan to pay fair share by at the meet Wednesday as we may not have the credit card reader there ahead of the meet start.
There is NO DIVING at this meet. BHS divers who have been cleared will be placed in swim relays! Relay assignments will be given out by the coaches at the meet.
1100 NE 14th St
Arrive no later than: 4:30 pm
Apparel and What to Bring
Athletes should wear TENNIS SHOES to the meet and their 2022 team t-shirts. Swim caps will be handed out on-site. Swimmers must wear BHS team suit and cap during the meet.
Team tent areas will be set up on the pool deck for athletes.
Swimmers should bring their own snacks and drinks, but the team will have some extras if needed.
GUIDELINES FOR NORTHEAST POOL SWIM MEETS
• Parents are to use the restrooms in the park.
• Swimmers are to use the locker rooms.
• Coaches are to use the MLK building restrooms.
No timers are needed for this event – no times will be taken for this event as it is a preseason jamboree. We will only track order of finish for position and points. We do have set-up and tear down help and snack drop-off volunteers needed! Sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0F4DADAC23A4F9C61-20222!
It was great to see those of you who were able to make the meet-and-greet this afternoon. Thank you for coming!
Some key points came up that we wanted to make sure to communicate to everyone:
- Athletes should try on their team suits (with the tags still on) as soon as possible to make sure they fit. If they do not fit, we can do exchanges for suits that still have their tags attached.
- If you have not turned in team paperwork and completed the Home Campus Athletic Clearance submission (https://athleticclearance.fhsaahome.org/), please do so as soon as possible to ensure no delays in your athlete’s ability to practice and compete.
- The first meet on Wednesday, August 17, is for all Gainesville high schools, so there will be many athletes and spectators attending; please watch for more details via e-mail before the meet, including parking information as the lots will be crowded.
- Volunteers are needed to help set up and take down athlete tents, to provide snacks and water for athletes, and to take photos during the Wednesday meet. Sign-up is open at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0F4DADAC23A4F9C61-20222 and the Alachua County Public Schools volunteer form can be found at https://apps.raptortech.com/Apply/MTU3OmVuLVVT. Please consider volunteering!
- Team caps will be distributed to swimmers at the relay meet on Wednesday. Swimmers who are not cleared to compete in time for that meet can get their caps at the next practice or meet.
- Fan gear from the Buchholz Swimming and Diving team store’s first online order period has not been delivered yet. We are awaiting an update on the order status and will keep you posted as we learn more.
- The second order period from the team store closes on Wednesday, August 17. This is the last time we will be able to order fan gear for this season, so please make sure you place your orders by Wednesday at https://bakerssport-buchholzswimminganddiving.itemorder.com/.
- The City Meet is on September 24 at the Northeast Pool. It had originally been scheduled to start at 7:45 AM, but the new start time is 12:00 PM.
Please contact us if you have any questions. We are looking forward to a fun and exciting 2022 season!
BHS Swimming and Diving Booster Club Board
This is a reminder that all athletes must have completed their forms on the Home Campus Athletic Clearance site for approval by the athletic director before they can participate in Swimming and Diving activities including practices and meets.
Current, complete physical (EL2) forms must be uploaded to the Home Campus accounts by the athlete, parent, or guardian. Paper EL2 forms will NOT be accepted.
Instructions are attached for creating accounts and submitting the required materials.
Please don’t delay as our first practice is Monday and first meet is Wednesday!
The document Online_Athletic_Clearance_Instructions.pdf was attached to this post.
We look forward to seeing you all at the team meet-and-greet event on Sunday, August 14! Attendance is required for all athletes or prospective athletes and at least one parent or guardian.
Here are some important details about the event:
Location: Dwight Hunter “Northeast” Pool (1100 NE 14th Street), in shady area to the right of the facility building
Time: 2:00 to 4:00 pm
Weather: It will be hot! Water and popsicles will be provided!
Athletes/parents should bring their completed team paperwork (information sheet, team code of conduct, 3 NFHS online course completion certificates) and fair share payment to turn in. Optional forms to turn in are corporate sponsorship and ACPS request to transport student (carpool) forms. All forms and clearance through the Home Campus Athletic Clearance portal are required before athletes can participate in practices and meets and for the pool portion of the meet and greet (see below). So far only about 25% of the team has completed all of the tasks on Home Campus and been officially cleared to participate, so please try to complete that process in the next few days if possible to avoid any delays in being able to participate, especially because the first swim meet is August 17!
Gear packages will be handed out when athletes have have been cleared by Buchholz and turned in all team paperwork and fair share.
At 2:00 there will be an informational meeting for parents and a team meeting for athletes, with topics including those outlined below. Parents and athletes are encouraged to bring folding chairs.
Athlete meeting topics
Expectations (practice attendance, meets)
Team communication via TeamPages and GroupMe
Parent meeting topics
Booster club budget for 2022 season (attached for review prior to the meeting)
Booster club board member election
Volunteering at swim meets
Team communication via TeamPages and GroupMe
The meeting will conclude at the end of the informational portion. Athletes who have been athletically cleared through Home Campus are invited to enter the pool facility to mingle on the pool deck and swim until 4:00 pm.
We want everyone to be able to participate in the 2022 BHS Swimming and Diving season if eligible, and any questions, concerns, or need for special arrangements to participate can be sent to Coach John at firstname.lastname@example.org or to the booster club board at email@example.com.
The document BHS_Swim___Dive_Proposed_Budget_2022_-_for_parents.pdf was attached to this post.